Dear Ms. Leading,

I regret to inform you I've fallen out of lust.
It must be so hard to understand.
Did you really think me a fool enough to play along?
And make believing everything you said was true
Push your pouting lips on other unsuspecting lovers

Love,
The Dear Hunter

1.24.2008

"Didn't you hear?"
"Oh my god it's so horrible."
"I can't believe it."

"Heath Ledger is dead."

In the past several days of 500 point dips in the stock market and wars half way from home, that's the only news that has been on the lips of college students.
The only current event that has been discussed by young adults obsessed with weight loss and popular culture.
The MySpace generation.
The internet-made-me-lazy-and-socially-inept-generation.

The influence of popular culture has only greatened with the increase of accessibility to gossip and communication. The more portable news is, the less likely it is to be anything of substance.

Since when was news supposed to be entertaining?
When was reporting news turned into the ravenous competition to entertain that it is today?

And why the fuck am I complaining about celebrity news and tabloids?
I love that juicy, entertaining, "shit. sucks to be them," entertainment.
It fills me with joy and makes me thankful that I am not in the public eye.
But all the while, I want to be famous.
I want people saying, "Sucks to be them," while still wanting to be me.

The very people that make celebrities famous are the ones that rip them apart.
A good, cut throat article exposing a singer's lip sync fiasco can ruin their career.
Journalists have that power.
It feels as though all that power goes to waste on celebrity news.

Read a fucking book and get off the internet.

No comments: