Dear Ms. Leading,

I regret to inform you I've fallen out of lust.
It must be so hard to understand.
Did you really think me a fool enough to play along?
And make believing everything you said was true
Push your pouting lips on other unsuspecting lovers

Love,
The Dear Hunter

7.01.2008

You know, my friends mean well, but do they know what they are doing to me when they tell me that I "deserve better" when referring to a romantic interest?

They make me strive to be intimate with a better quality person.

Which may not seem all that horrible because they are encouraging me to find the best out there, but in all actuality, it has fucked with my expectations.

Expectations that are not of the "Great" Dickens department, but instead are the fucked ideals this society has defined to be our dating norms.

Expectations that will never be met.

They say find better.
I find better.
He disappoints.
They say find better.
I find better.
He disappoints.
They say find better.

Does anyone else see a vicious, cock eating cycle here? Because I sure as hell do.

Maybe there is no better. And if there is, where are they? Am I not finding them because the universe doesn't agree with my friends when they say I deserve it?

I think I give up on trying to find better. Every time I do, there apparently is "better" than him out there. If anyone knows where all of these "better" people are, could you please point me in the right direction?

Because I'd love to prove you wrong.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

hmm that is a cycle. it's hard to find better when you are still thinking you found the best.
I've been running into the issue of looks lately. I keep having people tell me that my romantic interests aren't good looking enough for me. What's THAT about? I've been told that 3 times by separate people about different people I've dated/been interested in. I have no control over this...but I always feel like I should be finding some super fantastic looking guy that is the best for me...when in reality that doesn't exist. ~sigh~

Missy said...

striving for perfection drives us all insane...