Dear Ms. Leading,

I regret to inform you I've fallen out of lust.
It must be so hard to understand.
Did you really think me a fool enough to play along?
And make believing everything you said was true
Push your pouting lips on other unsuspecting lovers

Love,
The Dear Hunter

6.08.2009

"Oh, Oh. I do not hook up, up." - Kelly "LIAR" Clarkson

NPR on "Hooking Up"

This topic has become fascinating to me to the point where it's an obsession.
NPR made some sense of it, tying in the fact that people are more concerned with "finding" themselves and establishing a career. People are considering growing up before they settle down.
A thought that didn't occur to previous generations because women were uneducated and life expectancies were shorter- facts that I'm sure are well known. I've read studies that have proven that the younger people are married, the faster they divorce. So maybe hooking up and fooling around as we grow up is a good thing. My high school U.S. Studies teacher always told us,

"Don't get married 'til you're thirty. You'll thank me for this."


As much as I agree (straight up) with all of the points made, the part in the article that stands out is when they start to speak about how women feel that casual sex is empowering and liberating in the present day. Which I suppose is a concept that most women of the 21st century can relate to. Women are making just as much as, if not more than, men are making in the working world. They don't need a man to take care of them. They're just looking to satisfy (and quiet) the natural urge to... well... "fuck," for lack of a better term.

I guess in a way I'm concerned for myself. Am I going to keep meeting people that are just concerned with hooking up or will they also care about my feelings? In my experiences, there aren't many people in my age group that actually care about their hookups. To survive this dating world, none of us really can care. It's the same emotional detachment that's increasing in our daily communication with one another. Maybe I'm an old soul, but I'd rather be alive in those days of goodnight kisses instead of good morning pats on the back.

"In summation"*... there's no hope for a serious relationship until we're thirty.
Thanks, Mr. Kennedy. You are wise.




*I fucking hate that phrase.

2 comments:

pierce said...

"Women are making just as much as, if not more than, men are making in the working world."

That's a lie. Women still make less (on average) than men.

Also, female empowerment through sex is a ploy by the patriarchy to get chicks to put out.

I don't know how much of that last part is true. Maybe I hang around the Orphanage too much, Sounds like something I would've heard there.

Emily Harding said...

haha ohhhh pierce.
well, my bad on the as much as or more than men.
i thought i read that they were.

annnd i think i might agree with you on the empowerment thing, but i believe that some women actually do find it to be that way.