Dear Ms. Leading,

I regret to inform you I've fallen out of lust.
It must be so hard to understand.
Did you really think me a fool enough to play along?
And make believing everything you said was true
Push your pouting lips on other unsuspecting lovers

Love,
The Dear Hunter

8.22.2009

It's the case of "Dani California" vs. "Mary Jane's Last Dance" all over again...

The new album, "Hot Mess," by Cobra Starship is awesome upon first listen.
A really great, upbeat pop album.

But as I listened to it again, I realized...

THEY STOLE TWO MELODIES FROM TWO VERY POPULAR SONGS.

Jack'd #1:
"Living in the Sky with Diamonds," has the same, "Oh, oh here she comes," lyrics and melody as Hall & Oats', "Maneater."

What. the. fuck.

Jack'd #2:
"The Scene is Dead; Long Live the Scene", has the same melody as "American Girl" by Tom Petty... with a sliiight variation in lyrics.
You all know the, "Oh yeah. Alright. Take it easy, baby. Make it last all night..." Tom Petty-goodness. Cobra throws their fangs in and claims that little melody as well.

I don't know if it was done on purpose, if they have the rights to it, if it doesn't matter because it's only a part of a song or if anyone even noticed like I did, but GODDAMN.
I'm not going to analyze this album any longer, because I'm afraid of what else I'll find.

Cobra Starship, I'm throwing my fangs down and suspending you from my playlists for a while...

2 comments:

pierce said...

Might be a little homage type thing. At least with Hall & Oates considering Gym Class really likes them, it probably rubbed off.

Also the Stokes borrow from American Girl too. Doesn't make me like them any less.

Nikki said...

My old boss told me it's nearly impossible to sue over a riff, or something along those lines. I have to ask him about the logistics to it, but from what I recall basically anyone can do it and get away with it.


Pierce could be right--it might be an homage type thing. Or they could be going the Miley Cyrus route. Notice how "See You Again" sounds way too much like that song that's like "I wear my sunglasses at night..." She also has a song where the melody is almost directly ripped off from "Kids in America."


Pop artists...::shakes fist::