Dear Ms. Leading,

I regret to inform you I've fallen out of lust.
It must be so hard to understand.
Did you really think me a fool enough to play along?
And make believing everything you said was true
Push your pouting lips on other unsuspecting lovers

Love,
The Dear Hunter

8.16.2009

"She's a maneater, make you work hard, make you spend hard, make you want all of her love."

It's strange what boredom and a semester of Women Studies classes can do to you.

The trailer for the new Diablo Cody movie, "Jennifer's Body," has left me to wonder-
Is this a feminist movie?

First thing about it: Love, love, love the premise.
The movie is about a demonic girl that feasts on dickweed guys.
Fuck yeah. Reminds me a lot of the movie, "Teeth," where the girl's vagina has teeth and rips penises right off of the toolbags that they were growing on.

Makes me feel all warm and tingly. Basically because the penis is so often seen as a weapon. Fucking "Teeth" vagina taking that weapon away definitely makes that a feminist movie, at least in that sense. (One can argue against that on the point of how it makes women and vaginas look like monsters.)

Apparently, I'm not the only one who was moved to link "Jennifer's Body" to feminism (of course not) as I came across this article while web browsing.

And while I hate Diablo Cody and her stupid tattoos, hairdo and over the top (but refreshingly gender neutral) pseudonym, the trailer and article make me want to see the movie to decide for myself.
I know I see myself as a feminist with my liberal, "guy-like" views on sex, but sometimes I wonder if it's really a feminist view.
Especially since about half of the time, I feel guilty about liking it.

My verdict so far?
Feminist, even if it is really un-feminist-like to kill men.
Feminism is really about wanting equality for all and not about separating differences even more with hate.

However, seeing terrible men getting FUCKING RIPPED APART by a sexy Megan Fox, makes me think that it might not be more than a horror film trying to appeal to everyone.

I'll have to see it in order to make my final decision.

Oh, and also, Adam Brody appears in the movie.
::drools::

. . . a "feminist" ::drool:: of course.

2 comments:

Archivist said...

Hmm, so you can tell these guys were "bad" -- from the preview?

You'll like this review of "Teeth": http://carbolicsmoke.com/2009/03/12/now-on-dvd-teeth-a-four-lipped-man-eater-that-dismembers-members/

Emily Harding said...

i'm only assuming so from the synopsis and trailer, yes.

like i stated, i still would have to see the movie to actually know.

and you have an interesting blog, by the way.